Instructions for Study Abroad Course Equivalency Form

Section 1: Before Students Departs for Study Abroad


Step 1.      Print out the Course Equivalency Form. Print one form for each semester (term) you are studying abroad. Complete Section A and make sure you print legibly.

Step 2.     List five (5) or six (6) courses, including the course number, if available, that you plan to take at your Institution Abroad in Part B under “Institution Abroad Course Title.” If the courses for the semester you want to study abroad cannot be found, use the current semester courses as a guide. To assist with course equivalency, please provide as much information about the course(s) as you can (i.e., course description, syllabus if available) and any other information that will help your advisor determine credit equivalencies.

Step 3.     Meet with your designated Advisor within your College or Department and take the Course Equivalency Form along with all information you collected about your course (description, syllabus, etc.). The Advisor will assist you with selecting NMSU equivalent courses and appropriate credit hours.


College Name Email Phone
Agriculture, Consumer and
Environmental Sciences
Dr. Jerry Hawkes 575-646-3210
Arts and Sciences Jeff Longwell (575) 646-2726
Business Dr. Kathy Brook 575-646-5431
Margo Trevino-Torres (575) 646-3404
Civil Engineering Dr. David Jauregui  (575) 646-3801
Chemical and Materials Engineering Dr. David Rockstraw (575) 646-7705
Industrial Engineering Dr. Ed Pines (575) 646-2730
Electrical Engineering Dr. Satish Ranade (575) 646-3704
Mechanical Engineering Dr. Gabe Garcia    575-646-1945
Health and Social Services Dr. Karen Kopera-Frye    (575) 646-3526
Psychology Dr. Dominic Simon (575) 646 5130


Step 4.       After your advisor approves your courses take your Course Equivalency Form to the Dean of your college to be signed. Bring the final form back to the Office of Education Abroad. *Graduate Students will ALSO need to take the form to the Graduate School to be signed before returning it to the Office of Education Abroad.

Step 5.       While abroad, it is very important that you save all course materials (syllabus, etc.) and bring them home with you to assist with determining final course equivalency.


Note: Flexibility is very important since knowledge of your exact courses and schedule may not be determined until you are actually in country and have completed your orientation. Please keep in mind that every country has a different educational system and course selection/registration varies depending on your program location.


Step 1.       Assist student with completing Part B-Proposed NMSU Equivalent Course section and determine appropriate credit hours.

Step 2.       In the event that there is insufficient information available on courses for the semester that the student will be abroad, please work with student to develop a plan where course equivalencies will be determined at a future time. Many students and advisors continue to work on Part B of the form through email while the student is abroad.

Step 3.      Sign and date under Part B.


Note: A majority of the courses students take abroad will be calculated by the U.S. credit system. However, many of our European partner universities/institutions use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). European students are usually expected to earn 30 ECTS credits per semester and 60 ECTS credits per academic year. U.S. students are often expected to maintain between 12-15 credit hours to be on track for timely graduation. This has given rise to the formula of converting ECTS credits to US credits on a 2:1 ratio.


Step 1.      Sign and date under Part B. Student will return form to the Office of Education Abroad.

Note: The student’s study abroad course registration for the semester indicated will not be processed until a copy of this form is received by the Office of Education Abroad.

Section 2. After Student Returns from Study Abroad

Note: Official transcripts recording student’s work while abroad are sent directly to the Office of Education Abroad. Upon receipt, the Office of Education Abroad will forward the original transcript to the Admissions Office and prepare a memo with an attached copy of the transcript for delivery to student, advisor, and Financial Aid. The Registrar will receive a memo from the College.


Step 1.        Collect a copy of your transcript and Course Equivalency Form from the Office of Education Abroad and schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to finalize course equivalency and credit. Bring all course materials with you to your appointment (course description, syllabus, reading list, completed work etc.) This will assist with determining final course equivalency.


Step 1.       You will receive a copy of the transcript along with the original course equivalency form. Compare Part B of the Study Abroad Course Equivalency Form with the student’s transcript course work from the Institution Abroad. If the student took courses other than what was recorded in Part B, work with the student to determine NMSU course equivalency.

Step 2.       Complete Part C., sign, date and make a copy of the Course Equivalency Form for your records.

Step 3.       Forward the original with transcript to the Associate Dean of the College for review and signature.


Step 1.       Sign and date under Part C and forward the original with transcript to the Registrar’s Office (MSC 3AR). *For Graduate Students, forward the original with transcript to the Graduate School for signature. The Graduate school will then forward it to Graduate Student Services for credit transfer.


Step 1.       Enter credits on the student’s record in Banner for the approved courses.